Best Year Ever
It’s hard to believe that the start of a new decade is upon us. Where did 2019 go, much less all the other years? There were 10 of them, right? Honestly, time just seems to fly by—faster than we realize or want it to. Busyness with work, activities, and other challenges can sometimes cause us to relive the chaos and pain.
Several of my friends have said they can’t wait until 2019 is over with. They’ve had all they want. Another told me they couldn’t wait for a new year because it’s got to be better than the one they’ve just had. Have you found yourself saying that too? If there’s one thing I’ve learned over the years and I still need reminding of it often, it’s to step back, slow down and be thankful. God didn’t promise us easy, but He did promise we would never be alone.
Beginning a new year is the perfect time to refocus and do something different, and different can definitely be good for the soul. Saying it makes it seem easy, but if you’re seriously going to make 2020 your best year ever, then it’s time to be intentional and start living life to the fullest. We can’t predict the future, but we can depend on our Heavenly Father for His timing in all things.
Thank God For His Blessings
There is truth in those words. We’ve all had things to interrupt our lives, stop us in our tracks, and distract us. Maybe it was a job situation, or a family illness, or financial woes that caused worry and drained you emotionally. But there were good things too. Maybe a family reconciliation occurred–wouldn’t that be a blessing? Or maybe you got a job promotion, or maybe you were able to tuck away some savings and take a much needed vacation. Whatever happened during the year, take time to thank God for His blessings in all circumstances.
“The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” Proverbs 16:9 ESV
Look Forward to the New Year
As we take steps to move forward let’s pray the new year will be the best ever and full of possibilities. In the meantime remember your attitude of gratitude. Think about what you want to learn or accomplish or do differently in the new year, and be intentional about how you’re going to do it. Enjoy each and every day and make the most of what comes your way.
Here are 10 Steps to the Best Year Ever
1. Praise God and give thanks daily. There’s nothing like daily prayer and gratitude to get each day going. Together they’re the ticket to a happy life.
2. Find your focus. Start by making a plan. Use your calendar, schedule wisely, and absolutely no overbooking if you can help it.
3. Enjoy the beauty of creation in some way every day. Watch the sun rise or set. Thank God for the nourishing rain when it comes.
4. See the Lord at work no matter what the circumstances. It’s hard to do this sometimes, but God’s got you and His plans are perfect.
5. Take time to enjoy family & friends. Plan activities or family dinners. Take a walk, enjoy a movie, or play games.
6. Make your minutes count. This doesn’t mean to fill every moment with some activity or event. But it does mean to use your time wisely. At the end of the day look at what you’ve accomplished.
7. Tend to your temple. Eat healthy! The holiday season makes it hard to do, but it’s essential to drink plenty of water [I’m trying to do better] and eat foods that nourish your body. Continue to eat your veggies, lean meats, and low calories snacks.
8. Be intentional about caring and doing for others. Again, this is not about taking care of everyone else before yourself. But it does feel good to do for others when possible. Taking a friend dinner or making a quick call to check on her is what matters.
9. Enjoy aging. It’s God way of saying He’s got good things in store for us. We’ve earned the lines and wrinkles–every last one of them. Thank God for each new day and thank Him for the wisdom and courage to move forward.
10. Remember to take care of yourself. Drink plenty of water, exercise, and get enough sleep. Taking care of yourself matters and it helps you to focus, be alert, and make every moment count.
I’m praying huge blessings for each of you in the new year!