Take Steps to Gain Calm
As we head into week two of ‘Finding Your Mayberry’ I am monitoring the progress I’m making in getting my schedule pared down. The answer is yes in some areas and no in others. I am trying to be diligent about not taking on any other obligations or commitments. I’m even visualizing drawing the proverbial line in the sand if I have to. The areas I can’t erase from the schedule just yet are tasks that are necessary but remain incomplete. In the meantime, I am taking steps to find tranquility during the busy season, whenever possible. Just like the Mayberry days.
Is This for Me or You Lord?
The other day I read a devotional during my quiet time that spoke directly to overwhelming times. There I sat soaking up the wisdom and gleaning a nugget or two of good advice when I finished and headed straight to the comment section. That’s when I read the sentence that sucker punched me. The comment said, “I remind myself when I get overwhelmed to ask this question: am I doing this (the busyness) for my own recognition or am I doing this to grow His Kingdom?” Is that what I’m doing?
Wanting More Quality Time
Ouch! It was as if the words were written specifically for me. How can I possibly live the simpler life I so desire if I’m always immersed in the busy season? It reminded me of a conversation I had with a precious friend some months ago. We were talking about the load of stuff on my plate when she said, “But you like busy.” To which I replied, “Not really. I’m just really good at it.” I’ll admit her words still sting just a bit. I also believe that God isn’t impressed that one of my skill sets is being good at busy.
So as I look forward, trying to once and for all get a handle on busyness, I am asking myself: “Am I doing all of this for me or am I bringing glory to God?” Here are five verses that remind me to be wise and discerning as I decide what fills up my time.
Five Verses to Find Tranquility During the Busy Season
- Luke 10:40 – “But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.”
- 1 Corinthian 10:31 – “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.”
- Psalm 46:10 – “Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!”
- Ephesians 5:15-17 – “Look carefully then how you walk, not as unwise but as wise, making the best use of the time, because the days are evil. Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is.”
- Colossians 3:23 – “Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men.”
I’ll be praying for you to gain tranquility as you seek a simpler life.
Peacefully Imperfect is a member of several affiliate programs, who may pay a fee for products purchased on this site. Because of your purchases I am able to support this ministry, maintain my website and provide valuable resources for free. Please know I only recommend products or services I love and feel you will value.