Love Others Bigger & Better
Even though people everywhere are celebrating love across the globe, my thoughts keep focusing on how to love others bigger and better every single day. While we can appreciate the sentiments of flowers, candy, and gifts, as women of faith we know these items are temporary and simple gestures. It is God’s love that is eternal, everlasting, all powerful, unconditional, forgiving, redeeming, and overflowing. It is His love that truly defines how we are to love and be loved.
According to a piece from the Symbolism Project, the heart is the focus of physical and spiritual being, and represents the “central wisdom of feeling as opposed to the head-wisdom of reason” It is compassion and understanding, life-giving and complex. It is a symbol for love. Often known as the seat of emotions, the heart is synonymous with affection.
From the beginning of time humans have craved feeling loved. It’s what we do.
Love One Another
The Bible says God is love. In John 14:15, Jesus states, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments.” and John 14:23 reconfirms that: “If a man loves me, he will keep my word”. The dual aspect to the above is Jesus’ commandment to his followers to love one another.
“God loves us with such incredible love. He wants us to experience incredible, life-changing love, mercy, and compassion not only from Him, but from those around us. And He wants us to show that love to others.” Again, it is God’s love that truly gives meaning about how we are to love and be loved.
World Vision Advocacy Organization
Help Others to Know They Matter
One of my favorite things is making others feel valued and loved. My small actions are not for show or to boast about; I want my actions to remind them that they are special and matter to me. In turn, I am deeply touched by those who care for me too. Recently, I was sick and a number of friends and family checked on me. I was so grateful for their concern and care. No less than a dozen offered to bring food. It is sometimes hard to say no, but we had plenty and what I really needed was rest. Many more called to say they were praying and I felt those precious words. Again, God’s love shines through any situation, spreading light into the darkness and giving each of us life saving adoration.
So when you’re looking to show others you love them it’s simple–love big and love them well. It doesn’t matter how small the gesture, it’s the fact that the gesture was made. These are the best gifts to give.
You know God doesn’t ask us to show off, instead He asks us to show up. Aspire to live like Jesus. Let Him teach you the importance of loving others.
Here are 10 of my favorite verses about God’s call to love others.
- Deuteronomy 15:7-8 If anyone is poor among your fellow Israelites in any of the towns of the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward them. Rather, be open handed and freely lend them whatever they need.
2. Job 6:14 Anyone who withholds kindness from a friend forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
3. Proverbs 3:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to act.
4. Proverbs 17:17 A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
5. Proverbs 31:8-9 Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.
6. Micah 6:8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.
7. Zechariah 7:9 This is what the Lord Almighty said: ‘Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another.
8. Matthew 5:16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
9. Luke 6:35-36 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
10. John 15:12-13 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
Here are 10 of my favorite verses for when we need to feel God’s love.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
2. John 10:10-11 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full. I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.
3. Isaiah 41:10 So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
4. Isaiah 43:2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.
5. Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who[a] have been called according to his purpose.
6. 2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.
7. John 8:12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”
8. 1 Peter 5:6-7 So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God, and at the right time he will lift you up in honor. 7 Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.
9. Psalm 37:23-24 The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.Though they stumble, they will never fall, for the Lord holds them by the hand.
10. Nehemiah 8:10 And Nehemiah continued, “Go and celebrate with a feast of rich foods and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared. This is a sacred day before our Lord. Don’t be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!”
Enjoy the extra treats from those you love, focus on the One, true God, and may you grow in His love as He teaches you how to love and be loved. Blessings!