Where is Our Courage?
Some days we have all the courage we need to face a scary situation head on. Other days when uncertainty looms, we turn and run. And still other times, we find ourselves in panic mode and go weak at the knees when faced with anxiousness. It’s during these difficult times the enemy wrestles with our thoughts, planting seeds of doubt that ultimately distract us from God’s truths. To combat fear, the Bible is packed with powerful verses to give us courage and guard our hearts and minds.
Stepping Out in Faith
It’s no secret I’m a scaredy cat when it comes to taking big risks. For example, I’m afraid of heights so I don’t want to bungee jump or sky dive. I’m sure it’s great adventure, but there’s uncertainty and I can’t see the benefit. On the other hand, I want to go out on a limb with a special project for this ministry, but there is fear in where to start. I can see the big picture and the high points, but I know my skills are limited in making it a reality. Does that mean I let fear control my thoughts and my actions? God’s Word tells me to take courage and be bold in my walk. My trust in Him should help me to push past my fears and anxiety, and step out in faith. Is fear keeping you from accomplishing something near and dear to your heart?
Conquer Your Fears
There’s no doubt when fear tempts us from time to time it can be unsettling. Reports of the nightly news can frighten us and bring thoughts of, ‘Will I lose my job? What will happen to my finances? Will my child get sick? Is it safe to go out at night?’ and more. We simply can’t live like that.
God’s Word gives us dozens of verses about courage to help calm our fears and anxieties.
Here are 12 Powerful Verses about Courage
Be Strong and Courageous
- Deuteronomy 31: 6 – “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- 1 Chronicles 28:20 – “David also said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the Lord is finished.
- Matthew 14:27 – “But immediately Jesus spoke to them, saying, “Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid.”
I Will Trust You
4. Isaiah 41:10 – So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
5. Psalm 16:8 – “I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.
6. Psalm 27:1 – The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?
7. Psalm 56:3 – When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
8. Matthew 10:26 – “So do not be afraid of them, for there is nothing concealed that will not be disclosed, or hidden that will not be made known.”
The Lord is My Helper
9. Joshua 1:9 – “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”
10. Hebrews 13:6 – So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?
11. 1 Corinthians 16:13 – “Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be courageous; be strong.”
12. 2 Corinthians 4:8 – “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair.” God knows our fears and He equips us with the Word in our hearts to stand firm against the enemy.
I’m praying for each of you to be bold and courageous.