Dealing with Fear
I recently opened Facebook Messenger to read a note from a college friend. She was sending a warning about human trafficking that came from one of her friends who had experienced a scary situation at a local shopping mall in their area. It’s the kind of story that frightened this mama’s heart to the core. I immediately started praying and sent the post to my own girl child cautioning her to be extra careful when out and about. And then I started thinking about where I would be if I didn’t have God and His Word to help me when dealing with fear.
Study God’s Word
Scripture says where God’s love is, there is no fear. Those are comforting words when we’re dealing with fears, struggles and stresses. His Word gives us a peace and calm to help our courageous hearts be bold and stand against the forces of evil.
“The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:5b-7 NIV
He Knows What We Need
God knows we’re surrounded by fear and uncertainty, and I’m beyond grateful He guards our hearts and minds. He knows what we think about and when we blow things out of proportion. He knows what we’re afraid of and His Word tells us He is near! And because He is near, we don’t have to be anxious or fretful about anything.
God doesn’t intend for any of us to live in fear and His Word tells us 365 times, ‘Do not fear.’ He wants us to be peace-filled rather than worry-filled and He wants us to be trust-filled rather than doubt-filled.
Scriptures to Help Deal with Fear
So the next time you’re dealing with fear, anxiety or worry, try reading these 10 Scriptures.
- Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1
- When anxiety was great within me,your consolation brought me joy. Psalm 94:19
- The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, wit thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. John 14:27
- Say to those with fearful hearts, “Be strong, do not fear your God will come, he will come with vengeance; with divine retribution he will come to save you.” Isaiah 35:4
- This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
- So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today. Matthew 6:34
- I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4
- You who fear him, trust in the Lord-He is their help and shield. Psalm 115:11
- So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”
Studying the Scripture allows us to fill our mind with God’s Word instead of focusing on fear. That brings comfort to my soul.
Prayer: Dear Lord, I come to you today standing firmly in Your Word so I can overcome the darkness and seek the light. When I focus on fear I want to remember I can hold tight to Your promises and truths and not give in to the unknown. Thank you for Your protection, mercy and grace. In Your Name. Amen!